Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Keeping a trailer frame from rusting

I've seen LPS products at store, near me. Well, 20 miles is "somewhat" near
me. Thanks for the field report.

Have you tried LPS3 under vehicles?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

I oil the beam of my log splitter with whatever I want to dispose of,
most recently bath oil. Only LPS-3 has kept it from rusting in
storage, outdoors under cover. Hydraulic oil seems to keep
already-rusted surfaces from getting worse but isn't much help on bare
steel.

Way back before they banned it I tried brushing used motor oil under a
vehicle and found it nearly useless as it washed away too quickly.
That's what made me test protective sprays including LPS-3. WD-40 is
junk, some of the others worked pretty well. LPS-3 was the easiest to
buy locally and not as messy as industrial chain lube.

Several years ago I sprayed a thin layer of undercoating on a rusty
wheelbarrow that stays out in the weather. Rust hasn't crept under and
lifted it though it's worn through in places.