Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Headset fro Iphone,convert to universal handsfree

micky wrote:

You know, until about 2 months ago when I read something here,, I
didn't realize what Tip and Ring meant, even though I've known the
terms for almost 50 years. I always thought ring referred to the
wire the ringing voltage came in on. And tip had something to do
with tipping something.

I wonder how many other people have thought that.

I started with telephones and there were no plugs or jacks involved.

It referred to the polarity of the wiring in the telephone switcboard
jacks.