Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default GE Powermark Gold Loadcenter - ground bar vs. neutral bar

On 11/18/2012 2:47 PM, noname wrote:
So since this is the only and main panel, I think the answer is the neutral bar and the ground bar are one and the same, yes?

As a service panel it needs to have the neutral bar bonded to the
enclosure, is usually done with what looks like a mounting screw that is
usually green. It should come with the panel and you have to install it.

Looks like the bars are connected across the bottom. Then they are both
neutral bars, but with the N-G bonding screw they can both be used for
ground wires.

The panel has room for 20 full size breakers. Each bar has 20 screws. If
you have all 20 full size breakers you can land a neutral and a ground
wire for each breaker. If the panel can take half-sized breakers in some
positions you may run out of screws. (The label will tell you which
positions, if any, you can install half sized breakers.) You may be able
to double up screws for ground wires - read the label. (UL and the NEC
do not allow doubling up neutral wires.)

My Ouija board is not working today, but my guess is that the panel
manufacturer intended that you can attach neutrals and grounds on the
same side as the breaker.

If you add a ground bar (part number identified on the label) it will
attach to the enclosure and, as gfretwell wrote, only ground wires can
be connected to it.