Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Powermark Gold Loadcenter - ground bar vs. neutral bar

On 11/18/2012 2:47 PM, noname wrote:
So since this is the only and main panel, I think the answer is the neutral bar and the ground bar are one and the same, yes?

It may depend on your local inspectors but I think I had taken too many
of my prescription pain meds when I wrote that the buss bar at the
bottom could be removed so the left neutral bar could be used for a
ground but it really depends on the inspector. In my area, the city
electrical inspectors won't allow grounds to be put on the neutral bar
and a ground bar attached directly to the metal breaker box is required.
As the main breaker panel, the neutral must be bonded to the ground,
usually with one or two long screws which go through the neutral bar
insulated standoffs and tap into the metal can of the breaker box. Some
inspectors may want an additional #4 copper jumper from the neutral bar
to the ground bar. If you have conduit coming into the panel, inspectors
may also require a metal conduit grounding bushing which has a lug on
the bushing which must be tied to the ground bar. In rural areas of my
state where there is no electrical inspection, the power company will
refuse to hookup an obvious cluster coitus but some of the things I've
seen electrical wise in rural areas are hair raising(no pun). ^_^

TDD