Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Moron Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 13:29:43 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Ed Pawlowski:
I don't see a problem with 85 or even 95 under the right conditions.

I cannot cite, but I read somewhere that above a certain speed
the consequences of loss of control increase all out of
proportion to the speed diff.

Half my family lives in Germany.

Their highways and general level of driver education are so far
above ours technically that there's almost no comparison and even
with Porches doing 150+ mixing it up with tandem tractor-trailers
pulling out to pass at 45 they *claim* a lower freeway fatality
rate than the US'.

But I lay virtually all of that to driver training and
infrastructure because when they do have a pileup, it tends to be
horrendous. Newscasts tend tb in the vein of "Between 7 and 10
people were killed, the exact number pending an inventory of body
parts."

Never drove in German, buy I have driven frequently in Italy. They
don't drink coffee and put on makeup. They stay to the right. They
drive faster than the US, but I feel safer