Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On 11/18/2012 10:30 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 11/18/2012 9:53 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
On the other hand- the most important piece of equipment in autos has
gone *way* downhill. There were no cup holders, cell phones, GPS's,
laptops, or noise canceling headphones in the cars of the 70's.

Too many drivers are doing too many things other than driving- so the
rest of us need to be hyper alert to look out for them.

Jim

I won't even talk on my cellphone while driving, if I answer it I tell
the caller, "I'm driving and I'll call you when I reach my destination."
If it's an emergency, I pull over to the side of the road and talk to
them. I spend half my drive time dodging yackers and texters who are an
extremely hazardous impediment to the efficient flow of traffic. O_o

I don't even look to see who called until I get where I'm going. I'm
not a cardiac surgeon, so I assume that a few minutes one way or the
other is inconsequential.

More amazing is that my 25 yr old son is the same way! [Daughter
not so much-- she has the 'hands free' setup-- but IMO spends too much
time on it.]

Jim

Well, the only time I may use the phone while driving is when I'm
getting directions in real time but not at 80mph and certainly not
in heavy traffic. ^_^

TDD