Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Union kills the twinkie

"Steve W." wrote in message
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
Right! The U.S. needs more jobless!

Dollars to doughnuts the jobs that were "lost" to the wonder bread
shutdown will shortly be offset by increased employment at smaller, local
bakeries who put out a higher quality product. that's baked on a twice
daily basis, and who don't have excessive layers of dead weight in
management and or shareholders they have to answer to.

Where are these "small local bakeries" I know of 10 different small
bakeries,

There's at least 6 of them in a city of population 36,648 just a few miles
up the freeway from me.

all of them now out of business due to govt. regulations,

Bull****.

taxes, and the ever increasing cost of business.

Then you shouldn't have a problem coming up with the names of 10 actual
bakeries and a specific list "government regulations" that led to their
ultimate demise....

Plus how many of these folks will now walk into a small bakery and expect
$20.00+ an hour

From what I read, "some" made ~18.00 per hour...do you really think that all
of them made that much ?

http://www.careerbliss.com/salary/wo...adelphia%2C+pa

Average hourly wage appears to have been about $14.50

--personally, I don't get out of bed for anything less than about triple
that amount.

when most small bakeries pay min. wage?

http://www.ehow.com/about_7550314_av...rs-salary.html

"The city and state you work in can affect the amount you earn as a baker.
The highest-paid city in the United States is Minneapolis, Minnesota, with
hourly rates for bakers between $14.20 and $17.66, while bakers in Dallas,
Texas, earn hourly rates between $9.83 and $12.84, as of November 2010,
according to Payscale.com. The difference in hourly rates for bakers occurs
when there is a greater demand for these workers than in other areas of the
country."

That is another section of this that I haven't seen mentioned. I wonder
what the actual job losses will be when you count up the losses in the
supply and delivery chain on top of the companies direct losses.

Almost zero; instead, they be delivering and wharehousing somebody else's
products from now on.

Anyways, IMO the fundamental problem isn't labor costs...

--it's the fact that no matter how fast it gets baked, ultimately, the rich
can still only eat a certain amount of cake.