Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default WI FI Radio

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:58:58 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 15/11/2012 20:46, wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:45:37 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Most that are capable of that are also capable of DAB and FM.
Digital radios eat batteries quickly so it is a bad idea!

Some of the Pure or Revo ranges have rechargeable batteries .The Revo
I have runs for about 7 to 8 hours on a charge.
Seems a bit limiting to tie oneself to a mains socket if you are using
a WIFI radio.

And a decent FM radio will run for about ten times longer.

Horses for courses, this a fringe area and the main FM set needs it's
loft aerial. The old portables need the rod aerials extended and they
always seem to be in the way and there is still hiss at times and
listening to medium wave hasn't been the same since coming from a boat
was a valid excuse for a wooly sound.
Although it doesn't apply to the national stations so much if I'm
listening to a our BBC local and Bloody Football takes over I can
catch the regular programme over the net from the originating region.
That will happen less in the New Year with BBC cutbacks but will still
be valid occasionally.and if I don't like the replacement English
regional the that BBC will be offering it will be no problem to scour
the world for something else. And how can you do listen again on FM?
Like the HD recorder has made time shifting TV programmes almost the
norm for many, an Internet set can do the same for radio.
Battery time of 8 hours on a charge is more than adequate, I've no
need to spend 80 hours in the bath or down the garden before plugging
it in again and I doubt many others need to , If the set used U2's at
the rate of four a day it might be something to worry about.
I'm not sure it would last ten times longer anyway , have used the set
on FM a few times as it was a convenient thing to do ,can't say I
noticed it lasted that much more. Internet radio is more efficient
than DAB.
G.Harman