Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default WI FI Radio

On 15/11/2012 18:58, Steve Firth wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 15/11/2012 16:14, fred wrote:
SWMBO wants a battery operated radio that can pick up Radio 4 via the
internet (we have a domestic wifi network.

What are her options ?

Why eat into your bandwidth allowance when there's a perfectly good FM signal available?

More to the point battery powered and DSP radio don't really work.

Bandwidth allowance? Are you using the poor people's Internet?

Satellite has severe monthly quotas and is by no means cheap.

There are plenty of places in rural England where Internet radio stalls
at busy times of day like the early evenings. I get just about enough
bandwidth to stream normal TV but HDTV is out of the question and there
is no prospect of any upgrade here until hell freezes over.

We presently have three BT OpenReach vans parked in the village trying
to sort out the mess they made installing the most recent ADSL
connection and breaking 3 POTS circuits in the process. Three weeks and
counting spent on repairing the collateral damage so far.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown