Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Mouser vs. Digikey

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:27:45 -0800 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:50:59 -0500, JW wrote:

Anybody notice that the price of shipping has skyrocketed when buying from
Mouser?

Needed a single SO-8 pin chip for a repair on a HP 34970A.

Both companies had the part for about $1.48.

Digikey shipping: $2.80
Mouser shipping $6.99

Both ship USPS.

Sheesh. I'll think twice before buying from Mouser in the future, unless
they're the only one that has the part I need.

Nice conspiracy. Testing....

Mouser:
http://us.mouser.com/EstimateShipping/EstimateShipping.aspx
For 1 lb or less to California (95060) commercial:
FedEx $7.04
UPS $7.04
USPS $4.95

Digikey:
http://ordering.digikey.com/Ordering/ShipCostEstimator.aspx?site=us
For 1 lb or less to California (95060) commerical:
UPS $7.14
FedEx $7.14
USPS $2.80 (less than 8 oz via First Class)
USPS $5.10 (over 8oz and via Priority Mail)

Looking at the Digikey chart, it appears that they will only ship USPS
first class if it weighs less than 8 oz. Anything heavier would go
via priority mail at a higher cost than Mouser. So, for anything
weighing less than 8 oz, Digikey is certainly cheaper. Otherwise,
they're about the same.

I'm shipping to MA, but it is a residential address. Zip is 02108
Shipping from Mouser is listed as $6.95, but when I process the order they
add four cents for some odd reason.

On my last order of under 1lb , it didn't even come USPS as I requested,
but came Fedex instead.