Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Mouser vs. Digikey

Anybody notice that the price of shipping has skyrocketed when buying from
Mouser?

Needed a single SO-8 pin chip for a repair on a HP 34970A.

Both companies had the part for about $1.48.

Digikey shipping: $2.80
Mouser shipping $6.99

Both ship USPS.

Sheesh. I'll think twice before buying from Mouser in the future, unless
they're the only one that has the part I need.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:50:59 -0500, JW wrote:

Anybody notice that the price of shipping has skyrocketed when buying from
Mouser?

Needed a single SO-8 pin chip for a repair on a HP 34970A.

Both companies had the part for about $1.48.

Digikey shipping: $2.80
Mouser shipping $6.99

Both ship USPS.

Sheesh. I'll think twice before buying from Mouser in the future, unless
they're the only one that has the part I need.

Nice conspiracy. Testing....

Mouser:
http://us.mouser.com/EstimateShipping/EstimateShipping.aspx
For 1 lb or less to California (95060) commercial:
FedEx $7.04
UPS $7.04
USPS $4.95

Digikey:
http://ordering.digikey.com/Ordering/ShipCostEstimator.aspx?site=us
For 1 lb or less to California (95060) commerical:
UPS $7.14
FedEx $7.14
USPS $2.80 (less than 8 oz via First Class)
USPS $5.10 (over 8oz and via Priority Mail)

Looking at the Digikey chart, it appears that they will only ship USPS
first class if it weighs less than 8 oz. Anything heavier would go
via priority mail at a higher cost than Mouser. So, for anything
weighing less than 8 oz, Digikey is certainly cheaper. Otherwise,
they're about the same.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Looking at the Digikey chart, it appears that they will only ship USPS
first class if it weighs less than 8 oz. Anything heavier would go
via priority mail at a higher cost than Mouser. So, for anything
weighing less than 8 oz, Digikey is certainly cheaper. Otherwise,
they're about the same.

Mouser also plays games with the UPS shipping, so use the US Mail option
when you can - I had them ship a package to work, which is a real
workplace with staff sitting there to receive packages, and they charged
me the higher "residential" rate. They also take it upon themselves to
collect sales tax for states they don't operate in - for the (small)
volume of business I do that basically means double-paying, since the
paperwork to track it all is a time (thus money) sink far larger than
just handing the state the "safe harbor amount" for online purchases. I
don't recall what DigiKey does on that front as I haven't ordered from
them in a while (Mouser has had stuff in stock I wanted that they didn't
have for the past few orders.)

I certainly prefer Mouser's online catalog to Digi-Key's - Newark was in
there for a while but has not been worth following up on for the past
few orders either.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

I'm surprised newark even has a website. that place is seriously backwards
with their weird flip flop between the 45 names they use and inability to
calculate shipping.

I might use them about once every 5 years, as a last choice.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:04:24 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

I'm surprised newark even has a website. that place is seriously backwards
with their weird flip flop between the 45 names they use and inability to
calculate shipping.

I might use them about once every 5 years, as a last choice.

Be thankful you're not outside USA and stuck with Newark as the ONLY
house with stock of a part. We ordered two connectors ($7.52 each)
and selected USPS Priority International (based on the recommendation
of Newark in an email exchange as the cheapest option). Shipping of
course won't come up on the Newark site, so we were somewhat ****ed
off to eventually get billed $38.05 for shipping. Newark haven't
heard of USPS flat rate boxes.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On 11/12/2012 8:50 AM, JW wrote:
Anybody notice that the price of shipping has skyrocketed when buying from
Mouser?

Needed a single SO-8 pin chip for a repair on a HP 34970A.

Both companies had the part for about $1.48.

Digikey shipping: $2.80
Mouser shipping $6.99

Both ship USPS.

Sheesh. I'll think twice before buying from Mouser in the future, unless
they're the only one that has the part I need.

Last few orders where I chose USPS priority, the orders were shipped UPS
second day air for same price. I have no complaint with Mouser,
excellent website, fast shipping, but my orders are usually $50-100 a time.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:27:45 -0800 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

[...]

I'm shipping to MA, but it is a residential address. Zip is 02108
Shipping from Mouser is listed as $6.95, but when I process the order they
add four cents for some odd reason.

On my last order of under 1lb , it didn't even come USPS as I requested,
but came Fedex instead.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Looking at the Digikey chart, it appears that they will only ship USPS
First Class if it weighs less than 8 oz. Anything heavier would go
via Priority Mail at a higher cost than Mouser. So, for anything
weighing less than 8 oz, Digikey is certainly cheaper. Otherwise,
they're about the same.

Sometime in the recent (?) past, Digikey switched to a "no minimum order"
policy. This doesn't work if you don't provide an inexpensive way to ship
small, low-cost items. This is what Digikey did.

Shipping has gotten really expensive. I can no longer "afford" to buy less
than $50 to $100 of items at a time. Otherwise, the shipping represents too
high a percentage of the price.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:50:59 -0500, JW wrote:

Anybody notice that the price of shipping has skyrocketed when buying from
Mouser?

Needed a single SO-8 pin chip for a repair on a HP 34970A.

Both companies had the part for about $1.48.

Digikey shipping: $2.80
Mouser shipping $6.99

Both ship USPS.

Sheesh. I'll think twice before buying from Mouser in the future, unless
they're the only one that has the part I need.

For my $.25 worth, both Digi-Key and Mouser are excellent for $50 and
larger orders, or if you REALLY have to have the parts. (IOW,
shipping expense isn't a factor). If you need a half dozen caps,
Digi-Key will get them in your hands quicker and cheaper.

What I admire about both is No Minimum Order, No Handling Charge for
small orders, and I've never been jerked around with the "Yes, we show
it in stock, but we can't sell it to you" from either of them.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Ecnerwal wrote:

They also take it upon themselves to
collect sales tax for states they don't operate in - for the (small)
volume of business I do that basically means double-paying, since the
paperwork to track it all is a time (thus money) sink far larger than
just handing the state the "safe harbor amount" for online purchases.

I have given all the major distributors my state tax exemption number,
only Allied has a problem, they always bill em for the tax, and I pay
only for the parts plus shipping, with a note that my tax number is on file.
They have a button on the order screen for "tax exempt" but it doesn't
work. Of course, if you don't have an exemption #, then you have to
pay taxes if they want to charge you. I hope you don't live in Indiana,
where they think they have the right to charge me sales tax when I sell
products to England, even though I have no presence in Indiana and only
sell something to a state entity once every 10 years. They are completely
nuts.

I certainly prefer Mouser's online catalog to Digi-Key's - Newark was in
there for a while but has not been worth following up on for the past
few orders either.

Gee, I really like Digi-Key's, and use it for all sorts of parts search and
data sheet searching. I think their parametric search is the only one that
really works well. But, every distributor has really good pricing on
SOMETHING, and if you are ordering more than a few, it pays (literally!)
to check them all. Allied and Newark are good for IR parts, Newark
has good prices on small cabinet parts, Digi-Key is the only source for
Xilinx as Avnet won't open an account for me so I have to prepay by
credit card. Mouser has the best stock and prices on oddball capacitors,
from SMT up to big snap-lock electrolytics.

Anyway, I have seen variation in prices up to almost 2:1 in the most
extreme cases, between the major distributors. Other stuff, they will
all list the same part at $2.01, exact to the penny! But, in many cases,
one of them gives a better volume discount, so the single or 10-piece price
is about the same, but the 100-piece is quite different.

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I've never been jerked around with the "Yes, we show
it in stock, but we can't sell it to you" from either of them.

Yeah, this is a game the non-authorized "distributors" ie.
surplus chip merchants play. They have a network of
items somebody has had access to at one time. You do a search
on some really obscure part, and find a dozen different
distributors all show 12 units in stock with the same date code.
Well, those 12 parts were in one of their inventories 4 years
ago, and they never took it off when the parts got sold. So,
you call each one, and they tell you they will get back to
you after checking the warehouse. Well, the warehouse is
in China or something, so it takes a week to tell you that
the parts don't exist. I've even had one outfit that
said they had the parts, I gave them a credit card number,
they charged it, and a week later when I called back to see
when the parts would arrive, ONLY THEN did they tell me they
couldn't obtain them.

So, I try to stay FAR away from the non-authorized dists.
One time I got a tape of Analog Devices op-amps, and about 50%
of them went up in smoke when powered on. I deduced these parts
were salvaged off boards and re-taped, as the date codes were
all over the place, spanning several months, at least.
AD assured me that this could NEVER happen on their production lines.
(My guess is this was about the time AD went from pin 1 dimples to
the chamfered side on SO chips, and they had a little triangle on
the pin 4 end, and somebody loaded their P&P backwards and
scrapped the boards instead of reworking, after a batch
failed tests. Then, somebody picked the reverse-biased parts off
the boards and sold them as new.)

There are all sorts of horror stories with the grey-market
dists.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I certainly prefer Mouser's online catalog to Digi-Key's - Newark was in
there for a while but has not been worth following up on for the past
few orders either.

I'm surprised newark even has a website. that place is seriously backwards
with their weird flip flop between the 45 names they use and inability to
calculate shipping.

I might use them about once every 5 years, as a last choice.

I can certainly understand that. Decades ago Newark was very nice to me.
I gave them all the business i could afford at the time; i had to ride my
bicycle there and back. All of the times i have dealt with them since has
not been a problem. Just not very frequent.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I certainly prefer Mouser's online catalog to Digi-Key's - Newark was in
there for a while but has not been worth following up on for the past
few orders either.

I'm surprised newark even has a website. that place is seriously backwards
with their weird flip flop between the 45 names they use and inability to
calculate shipping.

I might use them about once every 5 years, as a last choice.

I can certainly understand that. Decades ago Newark was very nice to me.
I gave them all the business i could afford at the time; i had to ride my
bicycle there and back. All of the times i have dealt with them since has
not been a problem. Just not very frequent.

?-)

I did recently get a 13 cent part from them, and some other stuff. they
were pretty friendly when I phoned in the order.

The other thing that's obnoxious about all those distributors is most
claim to carry all parts, but what's in stock is a different story.

It was never like that back in the printed catalogs day.

I'm not going to special orer 24,999 "spare" diodes, but thanks for
listing a product you have no intention of actually stocking.

DigiKey. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 9 December 8th 11 01:08 AM
Is there any alternative to Digikey for small orders? tomhoo Electronics Repair 14 June 24th 07 09:43 AM
most common resistors used (add surpluss to mouser order) krem Electronics 5 March 31st 04 12:25 AM