Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Veteran's Day, 11-11-2012

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

What can we do, to remember in real terms?

Visit the VA and cheer them up? Or?

Stormy,

Find a way to give the homeless and out-of-work vets a way to earn some
money and self-respect.

Here in Jacksonville, FL, one disabled and PTSD'd vet and his wife built
a farm just to teach other out-of-work and disabled vets to farm. They
have six "partners" (not financially, but in practice) this year -- all
veterans who'd tapped out their last resources for jobs or income. Each
year, they plan to roll some out into the real world, and bring others in
for training.

This year, all seven of them will earn about $25K this year. That's not
a bounty, but it's a boon -- and they have learned enough to teach
others, and build their farm for more profits.

That's just an example. There are all sorts of things we (current) non-
combatants can do to help out. Just saying "thanks for your service" is
nice, but it doesn't help for more than a moment.

Give 'em a job, ask a friend to give them one, or encourage local
businesses to do so. There's work to be done. The unemployment rate
among "recently" (up to two years) discharged vets is over 25%.

LLoyd