Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Veteran's Day, 11-11-2012

Once again, it is time to remember our nations Veterans. To
recognize those who gave their lives, as well as all who have served in
times of peace and war. To the families who did without the presence of
a family member, and those who lost a loved one in defense of our
nations ideals.

I salute my fellow Veterans today, and every day.

Rea-dy, Two!

It saddens my heart to post the following essay today...
But really, what more appropriate time?

THE TWO AMERICAS:

"America is now two countries, not on speaking terms.
The culturally cohesive America of the 1950s that some of us remember,
is no longer with us. . .

"One America listens to Rush Limbaugh; the other to NPR.
Each America has its favorite cable news channel...

There are plenty of smart, creative and successful people in both Americas.

But they don't like to mix with each other these days.

"One America tends to be traditionally religious, personally charitable,
appreciative of entrepreneurs and suspicious of government.

"The other tends to be secular or only mildly religious, less charitable
on average, skeptical of business and supportive of government as an
instrument to advance liberal causes.

This was an election that pitted these two cultures against one another...

"Now the Two Americas disagree, sharply.
Government decisions enthuse one and enrage the other.

The election is over, but the Two Americas are still not on speaking
terms."

~ Michael Barone, "The Almanac of American Politics."