Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bose® CineMate® GS Series II

"amdx"
Phil Allison wrote:
"amdx"

I bought a Bose® CineMate® GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker
System today at a yard sale. I got it for half price when the lady
admitted it didn't seem to work. I paid $2.50.
I see it is $799 new and working, so I'd like to make this one work.
I have searched for a schematic but I haven't had any luck.

** Have you looked at the PCB/s yet ?

Made in China, all SMD, class D amplifiers and a SMPS to boot - I bet

Anyone have access to a service manual or have any experience on common
problems?

** Bose have long been secretive about who gets to see their service
ata -
but if the unit is built the way I suspect, then there simply is no
service
data.

I have disassembled and visually inspected for any poor connections or
solder joints. I tested continuity of the fuses and power transformer.
No sign of a problem.
It looks like it has 3 what I suspect are class D amplifier chips, I
can't read the numbers, I think they are mounted with the number down
and heat sinking up, to fit the larger finned heat sink.
I'm not sure yet about the power supply, it has an FQPF27P06 FET near
the 5 large surface mount diodes and 1 large filter cap.
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FQ/FQPF27P06.pdf
It has a thermistor mounted on the heatsink that measures 2.5 ohms,
that seems low but, I'm a fish monger.
Mikek

PS. Yes, service data probably will be difficult to find, It says
assembled in Mexico.
If Bose will repair it for less than $100, it won't be a terrible deal.
If I can fix it for less, it will be a better deal.

** Have you read the owner's manual ??

http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome...series2_og.pdf

You do have the remote - don't you ?

You have made sure that unit works - right ?

..... Phil