Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bose® CineMate® GS Series II

I bought a Bose® CineMate® GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker
System today at a yard sale. I got it for half price when the lady
admitted it didn't seem to work. I paid $2.50.
I see it is $799 new and working, so I'd like to make this one work.
I have searched for a schematic but I haven't had any luck.
Anyone have access to a service manual or have any experience on common
problems?
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx"

I bought a Bose® CineMate® GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker
System today at a yard sale. I got it for half price when the lady
admitted it didn't seem to work. I paid $2.50.
I see it is $799 new and working, so I'd like to make this one work.
I have searched for a schematic but I haven't had any luck.

** Have you looked at the PCB/s yet ?

Made in China, all SMD, class D amplifiers and a SMPS to boot - I bet

Anyone have access to a service manual or have any experience on common
problems?

** Bose have long been secretive about who gets to see their service data -
but if the unit is built the way I suspect, then there simply is no service
data.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/10/2012 6:59 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

"amdx"

I bought a Bose® CineMate® GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker
System today at a yard sale. I got it for half price when the lady
admitted it didn't seem to work. I paid $2.50.
I see it is $799 new and working, so I'd like to make this one work.
I have searched for a schematic but I haven't had any luck.

** Have you looked at the PCB/s yet ?

Made in China, all SMD, class D amplifiers and a SMPS to boot - I bet

Anyone have access to a service manual or have any experience on common
problems?

** Bose have long been secretive about who gets to see their service data -
but if the unit is built the way I suspect, then there simply is no service
data.

.... Phil

I have disassembled and visually inspected for any poor connections or
solder joints. I tested continuity of the fuses and power transformer.
No sign of a problem.
It looks like it has 3 what I suspect are class D amplifier chips, I
can't read the numbers, I think they are mounted with the number down
and heat sinking up, to fit the larger finned heat sink.
I'm not sure yet about the power supply, it has an FQPF27P06 FET near
the 5 large surface mount diodes and 1 large filter cap.
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FQ/FQPF27P06.pdf
It has a thermistor mounted on the heatsink that measures 2.5 ohms,
that seems low but, I'm a fish monger.
Mikek

PS. Yes, service data probably will be difficult to find, It says
assembled in Mexico.
If Bose will repair it for less than $100, it won't be a terrible deal.
If I can fix it for less, it will be a better deal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx"
Phil Allison wrote:
"amdx"

[...]

** Have you read the owner's manual ??

http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome...series2_og.pdf

You do have the remote - don't you ?

You have made sure that unit works - right ?

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/10/2012 7:53 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

"amdx"
Phil Allison wrote:
"amdx"

[...]

I found an owners manual online, I do have the remote.
I have made sure the unit doesn't work.
When the unit is plugged in the green LED blinks one time and the red
LED comes on, That's all.

From the manual,

" When you connect the CineMate®
system to a power
source, the green LED on the front of the interface
module flashes for 10 seconds, then extinguishes,
indicating that the system has been connected to
power.
When you press the remote control On-Off, Volume Up/
Down, or Mute button, the green LED on the interface
module flashes.

None of that happens.

Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

In the UK, Bose offer a fixed fee to repair any piece of Bose equipment,
including pickup and redelivery by courier. The equipment is then
guaranteed against further faults for I think
the initial guarantee on the new unit, but I am not sure, and that may not
be the case outside the UK.

It would not be worth paying that fee for a home hi-fi amp, but for some of
the more expensive gear it might well be, so I'd contact them if I were you
to find out what the deal is in your neck of the woods.
Especially, as has been stated here, you are highly unlikely to be able to
repair it yourself.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/12/2012 4:29 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

I did that today. I called Bose service and explained the symptoms.
We went through a short troubleshooting routine and at the end gave me
three options.
1) Order interface unit and install, if this doesn't solve the problem
they will refund the payment. $56.00 includes shipping. (this is a
common repair)
2) Send complete unit into Bose and they will repair and guarantee.
$90.00 includes shipping.
3) Upgrade and get $399.00 trade in price of new system.

The interface is on order.

I find this quite reasonable. Might make a good Christmas present for
one of my kids.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

Although I am not much of a fan of Bose equipment, my one experience of
sending them an L1 base unit for repair was a good one, and they actually
were really keen to give their customers good service.

As it turned out, they said they could not find a fault (there was one,
because the bass amp was not working, and I swapped the two amp modules
around to confirm that the fault then went to the other side).
They returned the unit with no charge.

Haven't heard back from the customer, so I guess it is still working.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Oops, I forgot to mention that Bose said they replaced the "faulty" bass amp
module anyway.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

I ended up shipping the unit to Bose.
They have a flat repair fee of $75.00 plus I had to pay about $25.00
shipping. I shipped it on a Tuesday and got it back the next Tuesday.
I have about $100.00 into the unit, more than I planned but, ok.
Bose is very responsive to their customers needs.
Mikek
Mikek

Bose Christophe Electronic Schematics 4 January 4th 09 02:40 AM
Bose parts Andy Cuffe Electronics Repair 0 December 12th 07 11:55 PM
BOSE jim Electronics Repair 4 December 26th 06 03:03 AM
Carrier Performance series vs. Ruud Achiever series home AC? Airkings Home Repair 1 June 20th 05 11:03 PM
Series II head mount to Series I ram? ATP* Metalworking 8 February 27th 05 12:57 AM