Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.engineering,rec.crafts.metalworking
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Bam! Garage door over-the-door torsion spring snapped! How to replace?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 12:24:59 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Keeping to garage doors, I was expecting to pay about $2k for a new
steel door - just going by what a workmate paid for a similar one
about 5 years ago - but the first guy I called was over here in an
hour, and bid $900. He's had a local business with a good rep for a
long time. Looked no further.

Must have been a nice insulated door. In Houston I'll (well, used to
before I got out of the business) install a 16 x 7 non-insulated door
complete with take-down and haul-off for about $500.

That's my size - 4 panel - but his garage is attached so he probably
got insulated. Pretty sure he got windows too. Might have an 18'.
Mine is plain-jane but much better looking than the old wood one.
I think I priced a similar door at about $400 at the big box when I
was thinking about doing it myself. Then add the opener.

Our cost on the door is $300. It takes about 1.5 hours to do, and the
dump charges $30 to drop off the "dead door".

About the time the 2-man crew took. I was glad to see that old door
hauled away on top of their van. Right there is what tipped the scale
for me early about doing it myself. Getting old.

I'm not up to date on current prices, but I'm sure they have not changed
much with the ads I see.

I'll never know, but no complaints from me.
Heh, just had a visitor. His dad paid $700 for a door at the big box
with 1/2" foam. Put it up himself.
4 times.