Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Coffeemaker just steams- the fix

On Nov 8, 1:41*pm, Doug wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 02:16:49 -0800, Jon Danniken

wrote:
On 11/07/2012 08:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speed is not an advantage when making coffee. If the water is not in
contact with the grounds long enough, you won't get as much flavor. Water
temp, filter shape, grounds size, brew time, etc. all have an impact on the
quality of my favorite beverage.

That's why I make my coffee manually, by adding grounds to a pot of
water taken off of the stove just after it comes to a boil.

They (the grounds) sit in that water while I dither for a few minutes,
then it all gets filtered *quickly* through a gold filter.

It does take a bit more work than a coffee make, I will admit, but the
result is something you cannot achieve with a machine.

Jon

This almost sounds like the old Perculator method of making coffee.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, Jon's method is closer to the French Press method than
percolated (not perc-u-lated) coffee.

Percolated coffee still uses a basket and strainer, sort of like a
drip coffee maker, but the difference is that a drip maker drips plain
water through the grounds while a percolator drips (recycles?) coffee
through the grounds as it boils up through the stem.

A French Press forces water through the grounds with no filter used.
See he

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/FrenchPress.htm

Both Jon's method and the French Press method is known as "steeped"
coffee. Jon filters his grounds out, while a French Press simply
pushes them to the bottom of the pot.

See here for more ways to make coffee:

http://www.coffeeteawarehouse.com/coffee-brew.html