Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Coffeemaker just steams- the fix

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 06:08:24 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

One permutation you didn't mention was filter style. Some say (and I
agree) that cone filters are better than decanter (flat bottom)
filters. With the grounds concentrated at the bottom of the cone, more
flavor is extracted.

Then there's paper vs. metal, white vs. natural, bleached white vs.
natural white, etc.

Here's a pretty good write-up on filter choices:

http://www.melitta.com/faq_brewing,174.html

Yeah, I've tried all I've heard of. Used cone and decanter, bleached,
unbleached. They all made good coffee - to me.
A lot is just psychology. If you think natural is better than a
white, it will be if you know about it. The fact will be in your head
when you take the first sip.
Only thing I'm sure about is a paper filter absorbs something that I
don't care for in my coffee. Because my dad uses a gold filter and
I've tried them myself, and there's a bitterness or acidity in the
brewed coffee that I don't care for. Personal taste.
Coke, no Pepsi. Vernors Ginger Ale, not Canada Dry. etc.