Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Coffeemaker just steams- the fix

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 04:33:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Speed is not an advantage when making coffee. If the water is not in
contact with the grounds long enough, you won't get as much flavor. Water
temp, filter shape, grounds size, brew time, etc. all have an impact on the
quality of my favorite beverage.

Well, espresso brews fast. Talking about "best" coffee is like
talking about "best" beer.
After going through many coffee brewing permutations, I've come to
only 4 personal conclusions. Drip is best. Fresh brewed is best,
whatever the coffee. Heating after brewing is bad. And I prefer paper
filtering.
So sometimes I brew one big cup.
Usually I don't. I do 8-12 cups, drink one "best" cup, then drink the
rest either lukewarm, cold, or nuked. I'm an "all day" drinker.
Hasn't killed me yet.
In the big drip coffeemakers I've used, haven't noticed a quality
difference in the brew, whether I brewed a single big cup or a full
carafe. I tried a couple little 2-4 cup drip makers, and they didn't
make coffee I liked. Probably the basket size/water flow isn't right.
So what you say is all true.