Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Coffeemaker just steams- the fix

On Nov 7, 8:05*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
This is one of those 'so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it
myself' stories.

Wife picked up a Mr. Coffee at a thrift shop- * tried to run a pot of
coffee through it and it just spit and sputtered for 1/2 hour and the
12 cups we put in dropped 2 cups into the pot. * The rest was steam.

It was a nice looking pot, so I tried cleaning it-- then dismantled
it. * * I didn't see anything obvious- so I Googled and found this
page-http://nepacrossroads.com/about18852.html

I already had the bottom off, so in less than 5 minutes, I popped off
the rubber hose with the check valve in it- blew the wad of paper out
of the check valve- and reassembled.

Works perfect now.

I wonder how many pots I've tossed that could have been fixed so
easily.

Jim

Thread Hijack Alert!

Does any one know of a reasonably priced coffee maker that can be
plumbed into the house water system?

I'm not looking for a single serving Keurig type nor am I looking to
spend high 3 to low 4 digits for an auto-fill coffee maker. Something
under $150 would be nice but I just can't seem to find one in that
price range.

Of course, it has to have the rest of the desirable features:
Programmable, auto-off, correct brewing temp, decent holding temp,
etc.

I tossed my B&D Saver Saver coffee maker last week. It never kept the
coffee hot enough, it was impossible to fill without spilling water on
the counter and it dripped even more water on the counter while
brewing. It's called a "space saver" because it hung from the bottom
of the upper cabinets. The ironic part was that you couldn't put
anything under it - except a towel - because it dripped constantly.
The final straw was when they recalled the carafe (send the old one
in, wait 10 days for a "safer" one) and the new one added a new
leakage point between the glass and the plastic top. Now it drips when
you fill the coffee maker, it drips while it's brewing, and it drips
when you are pouring yourself a cup of joe. Well, actually, it doesn't
leak anymore unless someone at the landfill is using it.

Currently, we're using our spare coffee maker, which I like (an older
Gevalia thermal carafe type) but I'd like to put that back on the
shelf as a spare and get a new, larger capacity one that I can plumb
so I don't have to fill it each time. Any ideas?