Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Coffeemaker just steams- the fix

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 08:05:09 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

This is one of those 'so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it
myself' stories.

Wife picked up a Mr. Coffee at a thrift shop- tried to run a pot of
coffee through it and it just spit and sputtered for 1/2 hour and the
12 cups we put in dropped 2 cups into the pot. The rest was steam.

It was a nice looking pot, so I tried cleaning it-- then dismantled
it. I didn't see anything obvious- so I Googled and found this
page-
http://nepacrossroads.com/about18852.html

I already had the bottom off, so in less than 5 minutes, I popped off
the rubber hose with the check valve in it- blew the wad of paper out
of the check valve- and reassembled.

Works perfect now.

Plainly the problem was the use of paper cups for coffee. Res ipsa
loquitur. You should try using styrofoam cups and see if it clogs
again with styrofoam.

I wonder how many pots I've tossed that could have been fixed so
easily.

Jim