Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Gasoline "additives": kerosene in gasoline?

"Steve W." wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

I recently became aware that fuel injector cleaner is basically
kerosene..... !! It's also clear that alcohol is freely mixible in
gasoline.
In fact, http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monogr...5/mono45-8.pdf
indicates a wide variety of stuff in gasoline, including aromatics (like
benzene). The tables don't seem entirely consistent, but the point is,
gas is a bit of a heterogeneous mix.

So the Q is: what can one "dump" into one's gastank, and how much,
without gumming up the works? Including all these catalytic converters.
Mebbe it's better to dump stuff in, say, the lawnmower??

And what do I mean by "stuff"?
Unknown mixes of 2-stroke gas, kerosene, paint thinner, small amounts of
old oil, any combustible really.
You can put quite a bit of fuel injector cleaner (kerosene) in a gasoline
car, on the order of a pint to just a few gallons of gas, and the car
runs fine.
But I'm not talking about a deluge of stuff, just a cup here, a cup there
in a full-ish tank?

Most cleaners are NOT kerosene. They do contain some light oils to keep
the stuff freely flowing and lubricate the injectors but most of them are
simple high detergent items.

Hmmm, you are proly correct about the one I am using (up) now, but I seem to
recall one that was primarily kerosene, altho I wouldn't bet the farm on
that either. Do these kinds of labels adhere to the food label strat, where
ingredients are listed in order?

As far as alcohols, YEP they will mix
with fuels, however it will separate out if left alone for a while.
This is especially true of mixed fuels like used in 2 strokes. That is
also why you should shake the can well before using stored fuels.

If you want to find out how to ruin O2 sensors and converters go for it.
It doesn't take much oil or other chemicals to screw them up.

Yeah, my conspiratorial li'l mind sees a pattern, where it is hard to
finagle the system, precisely cuz things are now so g-d complex. I'm sure
my Datsun 510 could burn every oz of scrap oil in my shop (in some
dilution).... AND I'm pretty sure it got the mpg's of a Prius....
Even the inverter-as-backup-genset seems a bust, altho I will experiment
more with that, partic to see if 2000-2500 rpm idles are truly nec.

Since you are in the salvage business and probably will have some
quantities of used oils, mixes and such. Why not at least get some benefit
from it. Install a waste oil furnace and use the stuff to heat part of
your building. The one I have will burn pretty much any
oil/kerosene/diesel/gear oil that you can pump into it. You have to watch
out for water/antifreeze or other non-combustibles. The easy way is to
make a separator unit, the one I built is nothing more than two plastic
drums with 4 different taps. You dump the unknown oil in it and let
everything settle. Once the stuff has settled into layers it's easy to
draw off the ones you can use.

Not salvage, ****ty li'l machine shop, emphasis on little, next emphasis on
****ty.....
I bought two ventless gas heaters, and pert near asphyxiated on those....
grrrreat heat, but unbreathable air quality.
I could only imagine burning waste oil.

I was hoping that, IF an engine could tolerate kerosene (via fuel injector
cleaners), that it might tolerate other stuff as well. But you are saying
that "if" may be incorrect.
BUT, still and all, if not kerosene, it's burning sumpn ELSE, right? But,
which may have been tested to be OK in engines.... but then mebbe not
either!!
--
EA

--