Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Gasoline "additives": kerosene in gasoline?

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

I recently became aware that fuel injector cleaner is basically
kerosene..... !! It's also clear that alcohol is freely mixible in
gasoline.
In fact, http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monogr...5/mono45-8.pdf
indicates a wide variety of stuff in gasoline, including aromatics
(like benzene). The tables don't seem entirely consistent, but the
point is, gas is a bit of a heterogeneous mix.

So the Q is: what can one "dump" into one's gastank, and how much,
without gumming up the works? Including all these catalytic
converters. Mebbe it's better to dump stuff in, say, the lawnmower??

And what do I mean by "stuff"?
Unknown mixes of 2-stroke gas, kerosene, paint thinner, small amounts
of old oil, any combustible really.
You can put quite a bit of fuel injector cleaner (kerosene) in a
gasoline car, on the order of a pint to just a few gallons of gas,
and the car runs fine.
But I'm not talking about a deluge of stuff, just a cup here, a cup
there in a full-ish tank?

Why would you want to do so?

To dispose of left-over petroleum products, you could just dump 'em down the
storm sewer. They will lubricate the walls and help prevent flooding.