Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Gasoline "additives": kerosene in gasoline?

Awl --

I recently became aware that fuel injector cleaner is basically
kerosene..... !! It's also clear that alcohol is freely mixible in
gasoline.
In fact, http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monogr...5/mono45-8.pdf
indicates a wide variety of stuff in gasoline, including aromatics (like
benzene). The tables don't seem entirely consistent, but the point is, gas
is a bit of a heterogeneous mix.

So the Q is: what can one "dump" into one's gastank, and how much, without
gumming up the works? Including all these catalytic converters. Mebbe it's
better to dump stuff in, say, the lawnmower??

And what do I mean by "stuff"?
Unknown mixes of 2-stroke gas, kerosene, paint thinner, small amounts of old
oil, any combustible really.
You can put quite a bit of fuel injector cleaner (kerosene) in a gasoline
car, on the order of a pint to just a few gallons of gas, and the car runs
fine.
But I'm not talking about a deluge of stuff, just a cup here, a cup there in
a full-ish tank?
--
EA