Phillip Hallam-Baker

Default 230V Ceiling Mounted Retractable Electrical Cord

"Stephen M" wrote in message ...

The short answer is Yes. 240v in a cable is supplied by 2 wires (plus a
ground). Each "hot" wire carries 120v. By switching ends, you are making the
neutral (white) wire function as the other hot (red) wire. 240v motors do
not require a neutral.

Just as with a 120v extension cord, the current draw of the tool, and length
of the cord determines how heavy a cord (wire guage) is required.

The problem is that almost any US tool you run off 240V is a heavy user
of current.

In the UK we have really dinky 240V cords. We can do that because every
UK plug has a fuse in it. US plugs do not have individual fuses, not even
the 240V type.

Even though each 'hot' wire is 120v the difference between them is 240v,
actually it is more than that because 240V is the RMS value, the peak
higher.

I doubt there would be a problem running a 240V lightbulb of a repurposed
120V extension. But a Unisaw drawing 20amps on power up is a completely
different matter.

At a minimum check the current rating for the cable. But a better plan
would probably be to buy a purpose designed 240v cable from europe.