Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Man am I grumpy.

What does the auto idle do?
I am using power constantly for lights or computer. So when idling will
it produce enough power?

I am thinking about a big unit. According to some of the guys here on
the rec there's no global warming. But I live right by the Delaware
River. we had 3 100 year floods in under 2 years. This storm on top of
Irene and the Halloween snowstorm last year has made me think I
underpowered my generator severely. In the last 12 years the frequency
of use is rising drastically. I want water and hot water... I'm thinking
12k might just be the ticket, or a little more to run some other things.
12k would just get me water and hot water.. both are 30amp 220... so
maybe a 18k unit working off propane...

On 11/3/2012 7:10 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 18:26:23 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Now that the storm has hit, I have time to build, but not enough power
from my generator.

its a 4300 watt run 6200 max peak

I turned on the tablesaw and it did not have enough power to spin all
the way up.

The band saw did. Surprising since my tablesaw is only 1.5 hp

I guess with lights and electronics in idle mode.. And heat... I don't
have enough left to power all my shop stuff. Plus this is a ranch and a
long electrical run... really long.

I am freaking grumpy...
Damn I am biting my wife's head off.. like a PMS bitch...

why can't the time and money (and now power) ever come together???

I'll see what I can do with the bandsaw and hand stuff. Pretty sure I
can still build... but hand planing every edge.. I don't think my
jointer will power up...... nah... not a chance.

I feel for you. About 2008 we had a big windstorm in Western Wa. and
where I am we went almost 8 days without power. Take coffee donuts
and BBQ to the workers, appreciation helps. At the time I had a 4K
continuous duty gen set. Good for the normal power outage but not
for long term. The biggest problem was it only ran about 3 hours
before you had to fuel it, and I needed to keep the hot tub from
freezing. I had to rewire the hot water tank so only one element
worked. I upgraded to a 12KW unit that runs 7-8 hours per fill up and
has an auto idle, also its much quieter too. It will run a unisaw, or
the hot tub. I also learned it helps to have about 20 gallons of fuel
on hand. Hope you get your power back soon.

Mike M

Mike M