Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
default[_7_] default[_7_] is offline

Default Knuckle Buster Replacement

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:18:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

I have one of those. Better than sliced bread... Used to be the
"Whitney-Jensen" later the "Whitney-Roper" punch. Mine is circa 1965
when I got it... Invaluable tool IMO for making distortion free holes
in thin stock (ever try to use a hand drill to make holes in a tin
can?)

The original came out with a bench mount attachment so you could spare
your knuckles, but it was inconvenient and didn't sell all that well.
You might try making one - the downside is that it makes changing
punches and dies a hassle, ditto clearing out the slugs.

I find it just as easy to clamp the metal to be punched between the
die and punch then move it over to a low workbench and press down on
one handle while the other is on the bench.

A center-punched dimple makes finding the exact spot easy by putting
the punches locating tit in the dimple while you move the whole
assembly around.

That punch, a "nibbling tool," "sheet metal" pliers, bench vise, and a
hand reamer, metal file, and I have everything I need for metal
chassis or mounting bracket construction; fast and easy.