Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Knuckle Buster Replacement

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:18:23 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Dunno about the ones HFright sells, but the genuine USA-made
Roper-Whitney punches are pretty decent:-

http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-45.cfm

They come in different sizes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Dunno about the ones HFright sells, but the genuine USA-made
Roper-Whitney punches are pretty decent:-

http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-45.cfm

They come in different sizes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That looks like what I have. I'm squeezing the dickens on the
handles, finally punches, knuckles bang adjacent sheet metal :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Dunno about the ones HFright sells, but the genuine USA-made
Roper-Whitney punches are pretty decent:-

http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-45.cfm

They come in different sizes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That looks like what I have. I'm squeezing the dickens on the
handles, finally punches, knuckles bang adjacent sheet metal :-(

...Jim Thompson

A good pair of cut resistant gloves has to be better than
suffering a busted knuckle! Hurts just thinking about it...

--
Les Cargill
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:18:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

All of the lever operated punches are going to smash your knuckles.
How about bench punch? Pricy, but safer.

These might use your existing punches and dies:
http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-12.cfm
http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-89.cfm

Bigger:
http://www.rotexpunch.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 19:37:17 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

More...

http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/sheet-metal-punch-hp-160
Look for these on used equipment sites.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-punch-driver-kit-96718.html
Although useless for small holes, a hydraulic hole punch works for
larger diameter holes. Basically, it's a chassis punch set which
doesn't need to be crammed into a bench vise. The down side is that
you can still smash your knuckles between the lever and the pump body.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote in
:

wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Dunno about the ones HFright sells, but the genuine USA-made
Roper-Whitney punches are pretty decent:-

http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-45.cfm

They come in different sizes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That looks like what I have. I'm squeezing the dickens on the
handles, finally punches, knuckles bang adjacent sheet metal :-(

...Jim Thompson

Roper Whitney's larger one, the XX, has an optional bench mount. Also,
the deep thoat means your knuckles are a lot further away from the sheet
metal. Warning: The set of punches it comes with are slightly weird
sizes, and the extras you will want aren't cheap. One plus of the bigger
one is that it can use D-hole punches for BNC connectors.

Doug White
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe the punch is not made for the guage your punching?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hole-forming-punches/=jzp4dt

Cheers
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe the punch is not made for the guage your punching?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hole-forming-punches/=jzp4dt

Cheers

Maybe I just need longer handles :-}

Reminds me of how I "assisted" a Craftsman end wrench many years ago
by adding on a piece of pipe (*). Bent the wrench, but got the
head-bolt loose. Took it back to Sears... the clerk smirked and
handed me a new one :-)

(*) I know, I know, I now own a rather long and sturdy torque wrench
but, when you're 22, who can afford one?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

I bought one when I was 20.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of when I lent a 18", 1/2" breaker bar to a friend.
I got it back bent, He still couldnt get the spindle nut off his bug.
He used no extraleverage other than himself

He was a avid weightlifter.

Cheers
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

Maybe I just need longer handles :-}

Reminds me of how I "assisted" a Craftsman end wrench many years ago
by adding on a piece of pipe (*). Bent the wrench, but got the
head-bolt loose. Took it back to Sears... the clerk smirked and
handed me a new one :-)

At least you got away with it.

Years ago, I was jury foreman for an industrial-accident case... a guy
used a pipe cheater-bar on the handle of a wrench when operating a
sticky valve, the wrench handle snapped, he went flying and hurt his
back. He was suing the maker of the wrench (claiming it was defective
and should not have snapped) and the installer of the steam boiler on
which the valve had been installed (claiming that the installation was
faulty, placing the pipe and valve in a location where the use of a
bent wrench was necessary to operate it).

We found against him on all counts. The steam boiler had been repiped
by somebody else, years after installation (which was when the piping
was messed up), the wrench had been bent (no evidence at all that it
was weak or defective when originally sold), and the injured man
shouldn't ever have been operating that particular equipment due to
seriously inadequate expertise, training, and literacy (he was in the
habit of "lubricating" the sealed valve by spraying its exterior with
WD-40... right around a gas-fired boiler... and testified that he
understood the word "inflammable" to have something to do with
maintenance).

I felt rather sorry for him - he was pretty clearly in pain (although
probably not as bad as he was making out to be - he failed a "trick
test" by the medical evaluator) but was suing the wrong parties.
Probably couldn't sue the party who was really responsible - his
employer - due to Worker's Compensation law (he probably wanted more
than Worker's Comp had paid him).

Seeing this situation from the sidelines led me to promise myself that
I wouldn't use cheater pipes on wrench handles!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

By the time I was 22 I was married with one kid and 3 months from
graduating M.I.T.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Dunno about the ones HFright sells, but the genuine USA-made
Roper-Whitney punches are pretty decent:-

http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-45.cfm

They come in different sizes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That looks like what I have. I'm squeezing the dickens on the
handles, finally punches, knuckles bang adjacent sheet metal :-(

...Jim Thompson

That link at roper whitney is for the light duty punches. Go to the pull
down labeled punching and select medium duty for the next step up in
punching capability for the same hand pressure. Go the next step and look
at a #10 or #12, I got a #12 on ebay a few years back for $50, does 7 tons
of force with less muscle than you used to bust your knuckles on the little
one :-).

--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

(*) I know, I know, I now own a rather long and sturdy torque wrench
but, when you're 22, who can afford one?

I bought one when I was 20.

By the time I was 22 I was married with one kid and 3 months from
graduating M.I.T.

I was days from going into basic training, but I didn't know it yet.
You don't rebuild a high perfomance engine without one.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Would that be the rear wheel spindle nut on an old VW
beetle? That sure brings back memories. I recall that they
used 200+ lbs of torque... way more than I weighed! I used
a 6' length of heavy pipe over a big monkey wrench and
stomped on it until it finally came loose.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v7.10
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusic generator
Science with your sound card!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

I have one of those. Better than sliced bread... Used to be the
"Whitney-Jensen" later the "Whitney-Roper" punch. Mine is circa 1965
when I got it... Invaluable tool IMO for making distortion free holes
in thin stock (ever try to use a hand drill to make holes in a tin
can?)

The original came out with a bench mount attachment so you could spare
your knuckles, but it was inconvenient and didn't sell all that well.
You might try making one - the downside is that it makes changing
punches and dies a hassle, ditto clearing out the slugs.

I find it just as easy to clamp the metal to be punched between the
die and punch then move it over to a low workbench and press down on
one handle while the other is on the bench.

A center-punched dimple makes finding the exact spot easy by putting
the punches locating tit in the dimple while you move the whole
assembly around.

That punch, a "nibbling tool," "sheet metal" pliers, bench vise, and a
hand reamer, metal file, and I have everything I need for metal
chassis or mounting bracket construction; fast and easy.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

I still have an "impact wrench" for removing those. You used a
sledgehammer for the "impact".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Dune-Buggy-36mm-Axle-Nut-Removal-Tool-/170929513609?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&ha sh=item27cc316489

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v7.10
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusic generator
Science with your sound card!

--
Les Cargill
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, probably when Sears was more generous, my then brother
in law worked at an electric motor repair/rewind shop. They has
several 2" to 3" sockets that they used with a three foot 'cheater'
bar. About every third try, they would just bust the socket. Every
week or so, one of the guys was sent to Sear with the busted ones, and
came back with new ones. Those thing went for $30 to $50 dollars
apeice!

Charlie
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Yep. The fine print now says not for commercial use.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Many years ago, probably when Sears was more generous, my then brother
in law worked at an electric motor repair/rewind shop. They has
several 2" to 3" sockets that they used with a three foot 'cheater'
bar. About every third try, they would just bust the socket. Every
week or so, one of the guys was sent to Sear with the busted ones, and
came back with new ones. Those thing went for $30 to $50 dollars
apeice!

Too easy. When I was in college, the material testing lab had a nifty
torsion tester. It could twist a cylindrical test sample into a
pretzel shape. When nobody was looking, I "tested" a 6" Craftsman
3/4" shaft extension, which eventually took on a spiral shape causing
all the chrome to peel off. Plenty of teeth marks in the grip area.
The extension was rated for about 250 ft-lbs maximum. I think it
yielded at about 3000 ft-lbs but don't recall the exact number.

I then took the remains to Sears and demanded a replacement. After
useless discussion about abuse, and several attempts to extract from
me the real story of how I destroyed the shaft extension, I was
blessed with a brand new replacement. The twisted extension was on
display for several months at the Pico Blvd Smog Angeles Sears store,
until someone apparently stole it.

Sorry, I couldn't find any photos.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Grab your pepper spray and head to the WalMart Door Buster sale HeyBob Home Repair 15 November 27th 11 06:34 PM
Caliche buster for real men Steve B[_4_] Home Repair 5 March 8th 10 02:08 AM
Grease Buster Wanted [email protected] UK diy 14 July 24th 08 10:11 AM
dark buster kevin Home Repair 0 September 11th 06 12:33 AM
PING: Bob Chilcoat - White Knuckle Airways Captain... Joe Metalworking 0 September 9th 05 01:48 AM