Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default A picture is worth a thousand words

On 11/3/2012 10:13 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
So here's my take on this
If you make it able to rotate, you might do more damage on the far wing,
or smaller plane if the larger plane swings into the smaller mount or
plane.

But that is not my choice it's yours or your customer's.

I still think you would be better with a belly cradle (smallish) and use
the stud to secure it to the belly cradle. you might actually use a
piece of metal in the cradle to allow it to be tilted based on their
preference , so the metal plate is rounded (conforming to the bottom of
the cradle) and has an elongated slot across the cradle (not lengthwise)
allowing the model to be leaned at their preference. Tightening the nut
would tighten the position the model is locked at.

If you do decide to continue with the shaft and allow movement. Put an
arm on the shaft and limiters to prevent the model from being able to
swing if hit. Allow it to just remove the initial energy, but not damage
the other model or itself.

I under stand your concerns. These airplanes are not exactly fragile
but my biggest concern is twisting the nut out of the bottom of the
airplane. They do break down, the wings and landing gear come off, and
are shipped from show to show in very nice shipping containers about the
size of a small refrigerator. The airplanes already have stands that
they are displayed on but not at the angle that the customer wants. He
wants more tilt to take up less display floor space. Any way I think a
rubber washer between the airplane and the jam nut might allow enough
give should one of the wings take a bump.

Wish I were good at sketchup. Wish I could draw... nice work you and
Swingy do w/Sketchup.

thanks! I probably spend 1/3 of my time designing, 2/3's building. A
lot easier and less expensive to get it right on a drawing.

Now on to more important things.. Nice dog,

The one sucking the pillow? I swear she would smoke cigarettes if they
were around.

but whats the cash of money
doing on the table....??? Are you bragging???

Payment for a kitchen job about 8 years ago, neighbor pricing. ;~(