Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Set Screws vs. Cap Screws

On 11/2/2012 5:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/2/2012 5:15 PM, dpb wrote:

Agree would be best to have a flat but probably won't matter too
much...how much does the beastie weigh?

In display mode about 20~25 lbs for the big one.

I'd suggest a regular hex set screw--they've got the cup in the base to
grab the target already plus they're hard. If need be, ship the allen
wrench w/ it in a little cubby spot...

Yeah, actually there seem to be about a dozen tips for set screws,
Pointed, round, ball,

Yes, the pointed, round, ball work best w/ a matching reset, the cup w/
the little toothies will bite into your threads iff'en you don't want
the flat or they ignore it.

I came to me this morning -- there's model-sizes of square and/or hex or
octagonal telescoping tubing that would provide a specific orientation...