Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default "I don't know" is not an answer

On 03/11/2012 09:45, alan wrote:
On 02/11/2012 10:28, stuart noble wrote:

I was watching a Wetherspoons waitress yesterday (yeah, sad I know) and
it was staggering the amount of work she was getting through. Still she
had time to smile at all the old farts and generally look like she was a
happy bunny. I need hardly add that she was of East European origin.

In my experience the people they employ at Wetherspoons are the rejects
from the "do you want fries with that" establishments. The company do
seem to have some strange ideas about customer service. 30 people can be
waiting for service at the bar and there are 4 staff behind the bar, BUT
3 are on cleaning duty and cannot serve. Or, the one bar staff goes away
for 10 minutes to make coffee for a customer while the kitchen staff are
regularly supplying coffee to customers that have ordered food rather
than drink. The bar has run out of cask ale during the early evening but
the only person who can change the cask is the cellarman who is on the
day shift. There seems to be a demarcation in staff tasks with no
flexibility during busy times.

This was the one on Victoria Station. Packed to the rafters right
through the day but, I have to say, very well organised, clean toilets
(despite being the only free ones on the station). Burger and a beer
very pleasant too.