Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 21:14:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan is to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours. I asked about a [bigger backup battery for the FIOS phone] and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

How can the charger not be powerful enough. It has weeks or months
to charge the battery, however long it is between power failures.

I had a 2nd-hand UPS and the battery wore out, and I replaced it with
a bigger one and it worked fine. I just broke out the plastic ribs
that held the smaller one in place. Of course they didnt'
specifically say a bigger battery wouldn't work, but how would the guy
you talked to know? He only "knows" what they told him.

They call this progress.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so you can never go back to it.

I called about something and she started pushing me, over and over,
to get FIOS. I said I couldn't afford it but she said it was cheaper.
I'm still on an introductory rate for DSL and FIOS would be more, not
less.