Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Carl Ijames[_6_] Carl Ijames[_6_] is offline

Default Knuckle Buster Replacement

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:41:16 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:18:23 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have a single-action sheet metal punch, punches holes from 3/32" to
9/32". I think I got it at Harbor Freight.

Whilst adding some extra holes to the frame of this work-bench I am
building I royally busted up my knuckles.

Is there a multi-action device out there that has real pressure
multiplication?

...Jim Thompson

Dunno about the ones HFright sells, but the genuine USA-made
Roper-Whitney punches are pretty decent:-

http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-45.cfm

They come in different sizes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That looks like what I have. I'm squeezing the dickens on the
handles, finally punches, knuckles bang adjacent sheet metal :-(

...Jim Thompson

That link at roper whitney is for the light duty punches. Go to the pull
down labeled punching and select medium duty for the next step up in
punching capability for the same hand pressure. Go the next step and look
at a #10 or #12, I got a #12 on ebay a few years back for $50, does 7 tons
of force with less muscle than you used to bust your knuckles on the little
one :-).

--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |