Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Set Screws vs. Cap Screws

On 11/2/2012 4:20 PM, Sonny wrote:
For whichever set screw you use, file flat a part of the 8mm threaded rod where the set screw will contact. Re-die the rod, if need be, if the filing messes up the threads on the rod, for screwing it onto whatever. With a flattened side on the rod, either set screw would not have to be tightened so tight.

Sonny

Thought of that too and the threads will not matter at that point.
Filing would help but I personally will not be setting this display up
over and over and the depth of the mounting stud "in the airplane
itself" will be ever changing, which would change the location of the
flat spot on the rod.

Now if only I could find a key way slotted threaded rod.....