Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Loaning policy

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

*snip*

So like Mike said do it because you want to do it, or don't because
you don't.

Somewhere I read about one guy who didn't loan out his tools. Instead, if
someone needed a tool to complete their project he'd bring the tool and
come along to help. Good way to get around the issue of loaning and keep
the tool in trusted hands. (OTOH, sometimes you don't want to get dragged
in to someone else's project.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I used to do ornamental metal when I got started steel erection contracting.
I'd get a call for a bid. I did nice work, ahead of the curve of what was
currently available for the time. $3,000 bender, good tools. Whenever I
got someone who balked at the price, or the half in front, I'd just put a
check mark in the upper left of the three copy proposal. This meant not to
fool with this turkey. Had people who said it was too high, their
brother-in-law would do it for less, or the Mexican on the corner at the
nursery quoted him less. By and large, they would call me a month or two
later asking me to come straighten out the mess. Sure, sez me, $95 an hour
for a truck and two men. Four hour minimum. But, I was busy for the next
three or four months, and would be there some time after that. Then I said
to just ask the person who did the install to come back and do it right.
That is what a licensed contractor does, and that is the difference with
dealing with a licensed contractor, and a brother-in-law deal. Never had
one Contractor Board complaint in nine years.

Steve