Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Opinions

On Friday, November 2, 2012 11:28:44 AM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
I bought a tachometer from Northern Tools. It sat in a box for a few years,

and was never connected. I then connected it, and got nothing. I contacted

them, and they said that after a year, they would make no adjustment. If

the device did not work the first time out of the sealed box, I feel it was

defective, and they should replace defective goods. I have bought things

from them, and enough to the level that they send me a hard cover catalog.

What would you do, and what is your opinion of this situation.

I feel that the item was defective as it did not work out of a sealed

antistatic envelope, and they should either give me a credit, a replacement,

or a refund. It was about $40.

Steve

You are right that it was defective.
Buying cheap Chinese junk, is itself, a defective strategy.
Expecting an unlimited warranty until you are ready to use something is not as reasonable as you hoped it would sound.

You spend cheap, you get cheap service. Lesson learned.