Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Loaning policy

wrote

No comments on your experience. But for me I either do the job with my
tools for the person or loan out tools only to very very good friends who I
trust. This is hand type tools. Stationary tools I do the work myself.
The friends I loan the tools to are close close friends. True friends. Not
acquaintenances. Real friends only.

*******

I have reassessed my relationship and history with this individual. I
advised him Sunday before last that I would like him to remove his trailer
after it being here a year. So far, it's still here.

I am also ready to open my shop for work. I see some changes that need to
be made in policies. I owned a steel erection contracting business for nine
years. I did not deal with the public and friends due to the nature of the
commercial accounts. I did a few jobs at first of ornamental metal for
friends, and all was good. I did small repairs for cash. I did loan things
a couple of times during the contractor years, and was bitten every time.

Hope I can do better this time. Attitude will be different.

I remember an old timer who told me early on, "Someone who asks you to work
for free is not a friend." Should have taken his advice, as well as other
things I have grown old enough to regret.

Steve