Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Loaning policy

On Oct 30, 12:56*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I got a friend. *Recently, he asked if he could use my shop to build a
firewood box for his wife. *Sure, sez me.

He came and spent the day, bringing his own wood. *Used the table saw,
scroll saw, router, sander, various tools, glue, and screws. *Kindly told me
that my glue was drying out and that I needed to replace it, to which I
said, add water and stir. *Said thanks in a weak way.

In the past two weeks, he has harvested an elk and a mule deer. *No mention
of "here's a pack of meat for the use of your shop." *Not even some burger
or sausage, let alone some real meat.

I think it would have been a nice thing to offer me something for what I did
for him. *Tho, real friends don't keep score, or so I am told. *And then I
have heard of others who just plain don't loan things at all.

Where should I be on this? *Am I making a big deal out of nothing? *Did I
get a cheap lesson in loaning?

Opinions appreciated on loaning from your own experiences.

Steve

Carpentry grade tools, only. Table saw, planes, chisels,
better hand tools, never. Fee = cleaning the shop.