Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Loaning policy

On 10/29/12 11:56 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got a friend. Recently, he asked if he could use my shop to build a
firewood box for his wife. Sure, sez me.

He came and spent the day, bringing his own wood. Used the table saw,
scroll saw, router, sander, various tools, glue, and screws. Kindly told me
that my glue was drying out and that I needed to replace it, to which I
said, add water and stir. Said thanks in a weak way.

In the past two weeks, he has harvested an elk and a mule deer. No mention
of "here's a pack of meat for the use of your shop." Not even some burger
or sausage, let alone some real meat.

I think it would have been a nice thing to offer me something for what I did
for him. Tho, real friends don't keep score, or so I am told. And then I
have heard of others who just plain don't loan things at all.

Where should I be on this? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Did I
get a cheap lesson in loaning?

Opinions appreciated on loaning from your own experiences.

Steve

Loaning tools is a lot like loaning money.
You either do it or you don't. But if you do, do it for the joy of
helping, not to get anything in return.
For your own peace of mind, only loan tools expecting nothing in return
and only do it if the satisfaction of helping someone out gives you some
happiness.
For the same piece of mind, only loan money if you'd be just as content
with giving it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)