Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Identify Galvanometer

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:33:00 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:33:30 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

I'm trying to find a model number for this Leeds & Northrup galvanometer
(pics on alt.binaries.schematics.electronics). It works just fine, but is
missing the meter scale. Probably just a printed card located similar to
the piece of paper I'm using here.

I couldn't find one similar to your photos with Google Image search.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=leeds+and+northrup+galvanometer
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=galvanometer
Lacking a model number, this is as close as I could get:
http://www.humboldt.edu/scimus/HSC.54-70/Descriptions/PntGalv_L&N.htm

The galvanometers that I've seen and owned had a marker at center
scale, and not much else. They're not really made to be a calibrated
measuring device. They just detect current or voltage in either
direction, like a wire over a magnetic compass. You could use a
precision voltage source to calibrate the full scale markers and be
done with it.

Right. It works pretty well with a slip of paper and a pencil mark. I just
wanted to bring it back to something close to original configuration.

If it's a rotating mirror flavor of galvanometer, there usually isn't
any calibration markers, just the zero center. Quite a bit of effort
goes into making sure that 0 volts = 0 center, but anything else is a
crap shoot.

Its missing some sort of cradle for the microscope to rest on with the cover
closed. Right now, the scope just bangs into a metal plate.

Incidentally, it's called a "telescope" by most of the instrument
makers. It looks like it might swivel on the lower end and land on
the cardboard card.

This looks like the same telescope:
http://www.humboldt.edu/scimus/HSTC.27-35/Descriptions/GalvTelscp.htm

--