Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Identify Galvanometer

I'm trying to find a model number for this Leeds & Northrup galvanometer
(pics on alt.binaries.schematics.electronics). It works just fine, but is
missing the meter scale. Probably just a printed card located similar to
the piece of paper I'm using here.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:33:30 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

I'm trying to find a model number for this Leeds & Northrup galvanometer
(pics on alt.binaries.schematics.electronics). It works just fine, but is
missing the meter scale. Probably just a printed card located similar to
the piece of paper I'm using here.

I couldn't find one similar to your photos with Google Image search.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=leeds+and+northrup+galvanometer
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=galvanometer
Lacking a model number, this is as close as I could get:
http://www.humboldt.edu/scimus/HSC.54-70/Descriptions/PntGalv_L&N.htm

The galvanometers that I've seen and owned had a marker at center
scale, and not much else. They're not really made to be a calibrated
measuring device. They just detect current or voltage in either
direction, like a wire over a magnetic compass. You could use a
precision voltage source to calibrate the full scale markers and be
done with it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Right. It works pretty well with a slip of paper and a pencil mark. I just
wanted to bring it back to something close to original configuration.

Its missing some sort of cradle for the microscope to rest on with the cover
closed. Right now, the scope just bangs into a metal plate.

--
Paul Hovnanian
If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it's a rotating mirror flavor of galvanometer, there usually isn't
any calibration markers, just the zero center. Quite a bit of effort
goes into making sure that 0 volts = 0 center, but anything else is a
crap shoot.

Its missing some sort of cradle for the microscope to rest on with the cover
closed. Right now, the scope just bangs into a metal plate.

Incidentally, it's called a "telescope" by most of the instrument
makers. It looks like it might swivel on the lower end and land on
the cardboard card.

This looks like the same telescope:
http://www.humboldt.edu/scimus/HSTC.27-35/Descriptions/GalvTelscp.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is used for the galvanometer in Figure 26 he

http://ece.ut.ac.ir/classpages/S84/Electrical
Measurment/82-83/Galvanometers.htm

But I suppose they could call the one I've got a telescope as well, even
though it only appears to focus out to 6 inches or so.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Bureaucrat, n.: A person who cuts red tape sideways. -- J. McCabe