Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [OT] Speaking of gasoline..

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:12:24 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Martin Eastburn wrote:
??
?? Refrig cans can be converted to small high pressure cans of air
?? that you charge up on the tank and tote it to the place you need it.
??
?? Not hard to do. They are rated for more pressure than you can pump in.
?
?
? I used to see conversion kits for R22 tanks for about $15.

I got a couple of the A and B tanks from ooly packing foam from work
back in 1975 and have been using them as air pigs ever since. I've
replaced a few bashed gauges and rotted hoses, but they're still
hangin' in there. These were nylon(?) lined from the factory so they
don't rust.

They're about 5.5 gallons and my big air chisel would only last about
30 seconds on one, but the stapler or nailers will do over a hundred
pops before the tank gets down to below 55psi, where the staplers
don't work well.

They're light enough to hang on your belt for climbing on ladders if
you don't have a long hose. 3/8" poly hose is just great for those.
Light and pliable in the cold. I've hooked both into my main
compressor for longer run times between cycling, too.

I've got several portable tanks, and two 20 gallon tanks from scrap
compressors. No need to make parts for them, after I got a free 60 gal
upright compressor that was in good condition.