Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default Niggling drill bit issue

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:47:10 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:19:07 -0500, Woody wrote:

I'd also suggest using a forstner bit rather than a spade bit to drill
the holes. You'll get a much cleaner hole, particularly in curly maple.

Per the other suggestions, a 1/2" bit should work and you can get a 1/2"
forstner at any retail hardware store.

It doesn't fit. I tried 1/2 and 5/8" forstner. 1/2 is very noticibly
too small, 5/8 is very noticibly too big.

Damn these odd-ball diameters!

Thx,
Will

The end of a candle is tapered. All commercial candle holders are tapered
for that reason. A strait hole, whether the candle fits it or not, will not
be secure.

In which case a spade bit ground to a taper to match the candle should
be the answer.