Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Shell Vitrea 21 oil ????

Hey Geoff,

OK...thanks for that. I'll pass it along.

How do you like the ChipMaster. I thought it was a pretty good
machine. I only sold it because I had 4 other lathes that are either
120 single-phase or 220 3-phase, and it was 575 (a standard in
Canada).

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:27:52 +1300,
wrote:

I have a Chipmaster as well - best thing I did was replace the
variator with a VFD (PDL Xtravert 800). I was forced into it when the
well worn variator died, and parts are not available. I should have
done it years ago.
Geoff

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:13:43 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey all,

I sold a Colchester "Chipmaster" to a friend a while back. He wants
to do some maintenance on it, and can't find "Shell Vitrea 21" for the
variator. Because of the delicacy of the variator, he wisely wants to
get the proper oil. Anybody have either a supplier, a cross-reference
to it, actual/factual specifications for it, or a known good
substitute?

Take care.

Thanks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...here's the text of his email to me

================================================ ===========

Hi Brian. I need your expertise. Several weeks ago, I was using the
lathe, and cutting at a slow rpm to re-thread a soft bolt, and the
lathe went ffffttt. And quit. Got a hold of my friend Dan
Steinwender that owns Techlor Controls, and he came over, replaced two
fuses, and it runs. So I thought I'd do a service. Don't know what
to do about the oil in the machine, so I looked in the manual. No
help. So, I e-mailed the company in England. They sent me the same
page out of the manual. No help. So, I'm asking you and your friends
in the groups if they know what I can use in the Variator. Specs call
for Shell Vitrea 21. Shell doesn't help. Non-existant. What do you
think? I don't want to ruin anything. I appreciate the help.
Thanks, Bruce ps hope Frances is well, and you too.