Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shell Vitrea 21 oil ????

Hey all,

I sold a Colchester "Chipmaster" to a friend a while back. He wants
to do some maintenance on it, and can't find "Shell Vitrea 21" for the
variator. Because of the delicacy of the variator, he wisely wants to
get the proper oil. Anybody have either a supplier, a cross-reference
to it, actual/factual specifications for it, or a known good
substitute?

Take care.

Thanks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...here's the text of his email to me

Hi Brian. I need your expertise. Several weeks ago, I was using the
lathe, and cutting at a slow rpm to re-thread a soft bolt, and the
lathe went ffffttt. And quit. Got a hold of my friend Dan
Steinwender that owns Techlor Controls, and he came over, replaced two
fuses, and it runs. So I thought I'd do a service. Don't know what
to do about the oil in the machine, so I looked in the manual. No
help. So, I e-mailed the company in England. They sent me the same
page out of the manual. No help. So, I'm asking you and your friends
in the groups if they know what I can use in the Variator. Specs call
for Shell Vitrea 21. Shell doesn't help. Non-existant. What do you
think? I don't want to ruin anything. I appreciate the help.
Thanks, Bruce ps hope Frances is well, and you too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:13:43 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey all,

I sold a Colchester "Chipmaster" to a friend a while back. He wants
to do some maintenance on it, and can't find "Shell Vitrea 21" for the
variator. Because of the delicacy of the variator, he wisely wants to
get the proper oil. Anybody have either a supplier, a cross-reference
to it, actual/factual specifications for it, or a known good
substitute?

Take care.

Thanks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...here's the text of his email to me

Shell Tellus 22 is the closest current spec oil - an iso22 hydraulic
fluid - which is just a tad thicker than the iso21 of the original
Vitrea 21. Standards universal tractor hydraulic fluid has also been
recommended for my Myford. Castrol Trans C 10 is SAE10 (iso32)
viscosity, Mabee the Trans C HT would be better. Both just one grade
heavier than iso22.

Other manufacturer choices are Chevron Turbine 22 or EP Hydraulic 22,
Castrol Hyspin AW22, Mobil Velocite 10, or Exxon Nuto H22.

32 viscosity of any of the above could also be used in warm
conditions.

================================================= ==========

Hi Brian. I need your expertise. Several weeks ago, I was using the
lathe, and cutting at a slow rpm to re-thread a soft bolt, and the
lathe went ffffttt. And quit. Got a hold of my friend Dan
Steinwender that owns Techlor Controls, and he came over, replaced two
fuses, and it runs. So I thought I'd do a service. Don't know what
to do about the oil in the machine, so I looked in the manual. No
help. So, I e-mailed the company in England. They sent me the same
page out of the manual. No help. So, I'm asking you and your friends
in the groups if they know what I can use in the Variator. Specs call
for Shell Vitrea 21. Shell doesn't help. Non-existant. What do you
think? I don't want to ruin anything. I appreciate the help.
Thanks, Bruce ps hope Frances is well, and you too.

================================================= ==========

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-24, Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey all,

I sold a Colchester "Chipmaster" to a friend a while back. He wants
to do some maintenance on it, and can't find "Shell Vitrea 21" for the
variator. Because of the delicacy of the variator, he wisely wants to
get the proper oil. Anybody have either a supplier, a cross-reference
to it, actual/factual specifications for it, or a known good
substitute?

I see that you got a suggestion for the proper oil on another
forum, but I did not see the part about the fuses there, so I will
comment on that below.

Hi Brian. I need your expertise. Several weeks ago, I was using the
lathe, and cutting at a slow rpm to re-thread a soft bolt, and the
lathe went ffffttt. And quit. Got a hold of my friend Dan
Steinwender that owns Techlor Controls, and he came over, replaced two
fuses, and it runs.

Hmm ... was it re-wired to a lower line voltage than it had
been running at? Take a lahte set up for 480 VAC and re-wire it to 240
VAC and it will draw twice the current. The fuses should be changed
appropriately when the voltage is changed.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Clare, DoN, and Gunner,

OK..thank you all. I will suggest to Bruce that Vitrea 22 will be a
good substitute, and it has many equivalents in cross-references.

And to DoN...the motor was rewound about 12 years ago as I recall. but
left at 575 VAC (a standard in Canada), so hopefully the fuses are the
correct size.

Take care.

Brian.

ps...Bruce, read all of this..some substitutes shown from Clare's
reply.
Lemme know you got ll this too, please.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

================================================ ===========

Hi Brian. I need your expertise. Several weeks ago, I was using the
lathe, and cutting at a slow rpm to re-thread a soft bolt, and the
lathe went ffffttt. And quit. Got a hold of my friend Dan
Steinwender that owns Techlor Controls, and he came over, replaced two
fuses, and it runs. So I thought I'd do a service. Don't know what
to do about the oil in the machine, so I looked in the manual. No
help. So, I e-mailed the company in England. They sent me the same
page out of the manual. No help. So, I'm asking you and your friends
in the groups if they know what I can use in the Variator. Specs call
for Shell Vitrea 21. Shell doesn't help. Non-existant. What do you
think? I don't want to ruin anything. I appreciate the help.
Thanks, Bruce ps hope Frances is well, and you too.

================================================ ===========

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Chipmaster as well - best thing I did was replace the
variator with a VFD (PDL Xtravert 800). I was forced into it when the
well worn variator died, and parts are not available. I should have
done it years ago.
Geoff

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Geoff,

OK...thanks for that. I'll pass it along.

How do you like the ChipMaster. I thought it was a pretty good
machine. I only sold it because I had 4 other lathes that are either
120 single-phase or 220 3-phase, and it was 575 (a standard in
Canada).

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I like the Chippie - they have a great range of speeds, and if in good
condition, can do accurate work. Mine has been well used since it was
built in 1963, but I have had it for almost 20 years and has well and
truely paid for itself.
The chuck being D1-3 mount is a bit harder to find replacements than
D1-4 chucks. With the VFD, you don't quite get the speed range of the
Kobb variator, but i have never found it to be an issue. Mine shows
it's British origins by leaking oil.
I am going to sell mine sometime next year, as I have been given my
father in laws Taiwanese Colchester Student clone, whcih is a bit
bigger and tighter condition. He can no longer use his workshop
equipment due to health reasons, so I have free run of it when I can
clean out his workshop and arrange transport, and sell the rest.A tool
score I would rather not have.

I would recommend a Chipmaster for any home shop, with the provisio
that the variators are old, so keep some money aside for a VFD.
My VHF is mounted in the motor housing,beside the2hp 3ph motor. It has
a remote panel with an on - off switch and 10k pot for the speed
control. Works great.

A Usenet poster many years ago sent me a photocopy of the manual if
anyone wants it and I can find it after moving house a couple of times
in the interim.
Geoff

=============================================== ============

Hi Brian. I need your expertise. Several weeks ago, I was using the
lathe, and cutting at a slow rpm to re-thread a soft bolt, and the
lathe went ffffttt. And quit. Got a hold of my friend Dan
Steinwender that owns Techlor Controls, and he came over, replaced two
fuses, and it runs. So I thought I'd do a service. Don't know what
to do about the oil in the machine, so I looked in the manual. No
help. So, I e-mailed the company in England. They sent me the same
page out of the manual. No help. So, I'm asking you and your friends
in the groups if they know what I can use in the Variator. Specs call
for Shell Vitrea 21. Shell doesn't help. Non-existant. What do you
think? I don't want to ruin anything. I appreciate the help.
Thanks, Bruce ps hope Frances is well, and you too.

=============================================== ============

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Geoff,

OK...thanks for the info about the VFD replacing the variator.

The "Students" are nice too, but I don't recall a "clone" for them.
What is it (got a photo)?

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law's health. Pass along my best.

Take care.

Brian Lawson..

XXXXXXXXXXXX
'

============================================== =============

Hi Brian. I need your expertise. Several weeks ago, I was using the
lathe, and cutting at a slow rpm to re-thread a soft bolt, and the
lathe went ffffttt. And quit. Got a hold of my friend Dan
Steinwender that owns Techlor Controls, and he came over, replaced two
fuses, and it runs. So I thought I'd do a service. Don't know what
to do about the oil in the machine, so I looked in the manual. No
help. So, I e-mailed the company in England. They sent me the same
page out of the manual. No help. So, I'm asking you and your friends
in the groups if they know what I can use in the Variator. Specs call
for Shell Vitrea 21. Shell doesn't help. Non-existant. What do you
think? I don't want to ruin anything. I appreciate the help.
Thanks, Bruce ps hope Frances is well, and you too.

============================================== =============

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Brian Lawson , Len- Materials Technician wrote:
Hi Brian,
I have an old Shell oil tin where I work and it is Printed
on the tin "Vitrea Oil.22, Replaces Vitrea Oil 21". I have looked on the
Shell website and it looks like Vitrea Oil 22 is available.
I hope this is of some Help to you

Best wishes,

Len

lawsonb wrote:

[...]

posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...il-557426-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

egg shell paint yellowing? Wendy[_2_] UK diy 10 April 25th 12 10:20 PM
ceramic shell repair? Bernard Arnest Metalworking 1 May 9th 10 05:21 PM
Shell case mfg. Buerste Metalworking 4 June 3rd 09 02:16 AM
Shell Gasoline Ad Andy Asberry Metalworking 20 March 11th 09 01:41 AM
OT shotgun shell Dave Hinz Metalworking 4 March 28th 05 09:00 PM