View Single Post
  #39   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Heat pump in basement?

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nt-316736-.htm
nahcr wrote:
Thanks for your responses. However, i still dont understand why a heat pump won't work. The heat pump we currently have is outside and it functions fine until it gets really cold. So I would think that putting it in the basement with a large air volume would mean that it would function just as well, and that perhaps there would be a slight efficiency gain on very cold and windy days or on very hot days since the basement is sheltered from the wind and snow and shaded from the sun. My situation is
unusual because first in proportion to the size of the house, the basement is very large, and second, the basement cannot be used except to run pipes and keep the water heaters for the 4 units. I would like to put the pumps there because they are ugly and that will get them out of my yard.
If the heat pump worked just as well in the basement as outside, i would be quite satisfied. Is there some reason why this would not be true?
Is there any danger to the occupants in putting the pumps in the basement? If the temperature outside went down to say 10 degrees F on the coldest day of the year, would pipes in the basement freeze because of the heat pump?