Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default USB-to-Serial ??

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 01:06:46 -0500,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

If you take the serial connector apart, you will find a USB-Serial
chip.

If you plug the USB end into a PC, it should turn into another serial port.
That's /dev/ttyUSBx on Linux systesm, and COMx on Windows boxes.

Thanks! I'll keep it. I have ONE very-occasional-use event recorder
that needs a serial port input (my infamous aircraft noise reporter
that automatically sends E-mail to the blond bitch at city hall :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |