Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Inexpensive dialup

mike wrote:

That's often not the whole story.
I pay 14.99/month for DSL. Problem is that I can't get it
without phone service that adds up to $43/month.
And the places that do have reasonably priced naked dsl
don't serve my neighborhood.

Also, if you are too far from the central office, have RT's
instead of a CO, or your lines are crappy, they either won't
install DSL, or it will work horribly. Been there, done that.
Before AT&T took over Southwestern Bell, we had Telocity DSL,
which worked great. (This was a LONG time ago.) DirecTV
bought out Telocity and eventually closed the DSL business, and
I moved to Covad. That was great for a long time, then AT&T took
over. Perfectly good phone lines went to total crap, and the
DSL went to dial-up speeds, when it worked at all. Finally
Covad said your line is now at 18000 feet, we just can't support
you on such a wire, and we are not allowed to push AT&T to fix it.
So, I was forced to go with the cable monopoly. I don't like the
shared capacity part of the cable system, but with Docsis 3, the
slowdown at busy times is not very bad (used to be VERY noticeable
on Docsis 2).

Jon