View Single Post
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Inexpensive dialup

wrote:

Actually I get pretty good results with DSL here. At my other house I had three PCs all running the speed test indicating about 2 MB/sec.simultaneously. I've gotten even better speeds on P2P. In fact I just checked it now with the Cnet test and it came out over 2.4. Hardly dialup.

What really gets me is that both houses have very old phone wiring. Apparently it's not the factor it's made out to be.

I think the DSL carrier operates like LVDS (low oltage differential signaling)so it works OK with these old wires. Probably when you get too many all squished together for too long a run it slows it down. That would be in a trunk cable.

So you got the distance from ma bell's substation as a factor, and not to forget the number of subscribers. That is becoming an issue in some areas as they themselves only have so much speed.

Let's put it this way, if your state only has one area code, you might get slow DSL. (sounds like Jeff Foxworthy huh) But here it works pretty well. I can understand it being slower in some areas, but I don't get why it would cost three times as much.

And don't kid yourself about cable either, I hear when they get too many subscribers they slow down as well.

That's 'Fiber Enhanced Cable'. It is brought to an area on fiber and
connected to the existing bi direction CATV system. Each node is a
fixed size of a maximum number of connections. They started with 512
per node in this area, about 15 years ago. They have divided them in
half several times since then. My contract was for 4 Mb/s and it passes
12 Mb/s at times.