LRod

Default 230V Ceiling Mounted Retractable Electrical Cord

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:29:13 GMT, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Wilson" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Have you considered changing the plugs/receptacles?
240V stuff costs more, so changing the ends may be cheaper.

Is the wiring normally used for 120v sufficient for 240v use?

It's all about insulation and current capacity. I'm not sure about all
cases, but I think the normal voltage rating for any wire used in
house wiring (I can't say if that's true for extension cords,
appliance cords, tool cords) is around 600V, so that shouldn't be an
issue. The current draw for a tool on 240V is half that of a tool on
120V (assuming same power of motor), so that's not an issue.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net